Friday, December 11, 2015

A New Addiction


It started innocently enough.  I was merely playing a game of Scrabble with my sister on Facebook which is quite frustrating since the program is as slow as molasses in January.  On this particular morning I just happened to glance at an ad on the side column but it caught my attention because it was an old, nostalgic looking photo and the text was in Danish.  Hmmm?  This is curious so I read it.  That was a slippery slope my friends.
It was an ad for MyHeritage which is a competitor of Ancestry.com but it is so much better.  When I have entered my name in Ancestry I get zero hits but with MyHeritage I was instantly landed on a relative’s site.  It was exciting since it confirmed a huge chunk of documentation that I had received from my mother’s cousin some decades before.  From there I was lost.
Only, it gets a little worse.  After being on the computer for about an hour I heard the telephone ring in the other room and I thought I heard the words “My Heritage” so I dashed to pick up the phone.  Some fifteen minutes later I had bought the complete package (don’t ask).  I spent the rest of the day going through scads of names, getting match after match until I thought I would scream Bingo and run for my winnings.  It was crazy.  I don’t think I have ever been so wildly addicted to something.  All I can say is thank heavens I was not actually gambling.
So if you are at all into geneology I do recommend this site, particularly for those who have a more diverse ancestry than typical Anglo Saxon.  The agent on the telephone told me that they have access to almost all the European databases and over 80 million family trees so the diversity appears to be much higher than what I experienced an Ancestry.
It was thrilling to discover names of my great, great grandparents on my father’s side of the family and to confirm some of the “legends” told in our early morning breakfast chats.  And can you believe this, my great, great grandfather’s name was Hans Christian Andersen K.  How appropriate is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment