Thursday, November 9, 2017

So Big - Edna Ferber


I’ve been doing some early Christmas shopping and picked up some hard cover books at Costco but unfortunately they are so heavy that I am having a hard time dipping into them.  So I pulled out some of my old classics which I do every once in a while.  Sort of placebo for the soul therapy.  As my readers know I enjoy reading “The Long Winter” by Laura Ingalls Wilder as soon as it blizzards, this year I went with the first snow.  I always feel cosy and comforted that I have my cupboards stock with food and grateful that the heat is going. 
I’ve been reading the 2 volumes of One Basket which is Ferber’s early short story series but now I am deep into “So Big” one of my all time favorites (on my top 10 list).  I adore the story, I adore Selena, I love the word descriptions and the life lessons.  Some favorite lines
·         A fine show.  The trick is to play in it and look at it as the same time . . . Living.  All mixed up.  The more kinds of people you see, and the more things you do, and the more things that happen to you, the richer you are.  Even if they are not pleasant things.  That living.  Remember, no matter what happens, good or bad, it just so much . . . just so much velvet”.
·         “There are only two kinds of people in the world that really count.  One kind’s wheat and the other kind’s emeralds.
·         But always to her, red and green cabbages were to be jade and Burgundy, chrysoprase and porphyry.  Life has no weapons against a woman like that.
The book is about how the individuals see the world and so few see the beauty and  the Show.  They lead pedestrian lives even if they have money and education where Selena sees what could be.  She sees the Parade of Life.  It’s just so beautiful see wonder at people who can see the absolute joy in the world and I feel grateful that maybe, just maybe, I am one of those people.
So today when you do your commute, when you are shopping, maybe you can just take in the glory of living and the possibilities around us.   
My cup runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment