Thursday, January 1, 2015

Peace on Earth in 2015


Who wouldn’t like to start a new year with the wish that there would be peace on earth?  This is not at all an original sentiment, furthermore we can all suspect that it “ain’t gonna happen” as my bête noir Victor Newman would say.  In order for the wish to be meaningful I have given much thought in order to approach the goal so that it could be achievable if only in a small way. 
Have you ever stopped to consider how often you find yourself aggravated by little things in the course of a day, even though you may not even express the frustration or even be completely conscious of the feeling?  Another habit that people have picked up over the decades is a way of speaking sarcastically to a person rather like being in a sit-com.  Of course you “are joking” but really the sarcasm can frequently be very unkind.  So here’s what I thought, how would it be if each day started on a positive note, no sarcasm, no random meanness came out of one’s mouth and whenever something became irritating, one should think kindly of England. 
Okay, perhaps not England, one should think about why the aggravator is doing the thing they are doing to annoy you out of all reason.  Let’s face it, no one has probably died and even if it is the lunatic driver on the road giving yourself high blood pressure by honking, cursing and otherwise telling the fool off is really not going to help anything.  Take a page from my friend’s book and say “he is a very special person” which means all of the above but you aren’t really saying it. 
I’ve been known to have a “potty mouth” so for the last year I have been coaching myself to forget curse words and find alternatives.  One of the things that I’ve noticed is that it is much easier to restrain the curse if I slow down in my response.  Why do we have to speak at a rattling rate anyway?
If we just take one day at a time, make our own sphere a place of peace, which could have a ripple effect and if it doesn’t, accept that it is beyond our control.  So I end with John Lennon’s words,
Imagine all the people, living life in peace.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment