Thursday, April 9, 2015

Leisure


Easter was early this year but still it was April so one expects it to be somewhat spring like which it was until Saturday evening when snow began to fall the size of apples.  In the morning we woke to a winter wonderland where the trees and bushes were literally bending over laden with snow.  I was quick to get on my winter gear and first take some pictures and then start my trek around the property to rescue the trees.  I stood under the branches and shook them vigorously and then stepped back to let the branches snap back into their normal position.  Once in a while I would get a snap in the face and all the time I was drizzled with snow.  I was having a lot fun all by myself and thinking how much kids would be enjoying this surprise dump of winter.  Out in the country we received anywhere from a foot to two feet of snow and it was the good, wet, fluffy kind that you could make snowmen with.  Sadly I was too busy rescuing the trees to really play and the next day it was so crunchy that you couldn’t budge the stuff.
The surprising shift in the weather gave me the opportunity to give myself a holiday.  Now you are wondering, holiday, in retirement?  As I wrote in my last blog I have been six months into my retirement and I have been very busy with my projects but except for Christmas time I have not stayed in bed until 10 a.m. to read my book and just get up lazily to have a second breakfast and putz.  So that’s what I have been doing this week, taking some leisure time for myself and trying not to feel guilty.  I have skipped my exercise all this week (3 days so far) and keep telling myself “it’s your holiday”.  What I am realizing though is that a person cannot work for 40 years without having routines in one’s life and it is hard to break all sense of structure without having to find an excuse such as saying “I am on holiday”.
It’s amazing how much we learn about ourselves when we have the time to think beyond the material, workaday world.  As often as we say that the world is interesting, or such and so is interesting, isn’t it wonderful to discover that you, yourself, are interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment