Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Bird Brains


Yesterday I wrote about human nature, today I will write about Henrietta the Hen.  I’m sure you have heard phrases such as bird witted or hen witted.  There’s a reason for that, birds can be such idiots. 
My girls are one year old this month and I have been faithfully feeding them since they were one day old.  One would assume that these creatures would know that I mean them no harm but each and every day they run squawking out of the chicken coop as though I had entered the room with an axe in my hand.  No such thing, I come in peace, bringing food and water.  Every morning.  Talk about a demoralizing loss of self-esteem as a good person.  Hens can do that to you every time.
Once the crisis of early morning is overcome however the hens apparently feel that it’s incumbent on them to restore my faith in their loyalty by running up to the fence every single time they hear the door slam or even when they spot us through 2 layers of windows standing at the kitchen sink.  They watch us in high anticipating of getting a crust of bread, a potato peeling or some wild bird seed.  Ever hopeful they make me feel like an utter heel when I don’t throw them a bone, so to speak.
When I enter the chicken run and throw out the seed they run around me or follow me about with utter faith.  They even huddle down and allow me to pet them gently on their back.  They watch expectantly as I twist the cabbage into the hook for them to attack happily as their mid afternoon snack.
And next morning we have it all to do over again, regaining their trust.  It’s like they are playing Drew Barrymore in “50 First Dates” and I am the hapless Adam Sandler.
Bird Brains!


No comments:

Post a Comment