Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Agnotology


Agnotology is the study of culturally induced ignorance or doubt, particularly the publication of inaccurate or misleading scientific data.

I thought I would use this title for my subject rather than one that would cause too much angst in the initial viewing. The subject is capital punishment and how it is used by Americans in answer to this weekend’s mass shootings in Dayton and El Paso. I could use words such as moronic, ignorant, and capitalistic or a string of other negative words to describe some of the emotions I feel every time I hear about another tragedy in America but what does that do?

The truth is that the bottom line of what I feel is complete and utter bafflement that the American people are more enamoured of their “God given right to own guns” than of the logic in NOT owning guns, period. What is the use of bewailing the shootings and holding candlelight vigils AFTER THE FACT? What is the point of talking about capital punishment AFTER THE FACT?

Many people, many times, have spoken about what ought to be done but as I have said before “you can’t fix stupid”. One can point out the action of New Zealand immediately after their first and only mass killing (passing a law banning the sale of assault rifles). One can point to Europe’s stance on gun ownership but does any of that make a dent in the collective heads of Americans? Apparently not.

I am sorry America but I am not mourning with you. I am berating you for being so damn ignorant.

No comments:

Post a Comment