Monday, September 9, 2019

American Justice


I have been following the Ivy League / Celebrity Scandal or whatever you want to call it. So Felicity Huffman thinks one month in jail for bribing an Ivy League college to get her daughter into is “too much” because “they aren’t those kind of criminals”? On “the view” they were mentioning that a poor homeless woman went to jail for five years because she lied about where her son was living so he could go to KINDERGARTEN (any kindergarten).
Now this is American Justice (and ironically wasn’t that the name of one of the TV shows Huffman appeared in?) and while I find it difficult to accept that “white collar crime” is punished by jail sentencing that happens to be the way it is in the United States so all I have to say to you, missy, is “suck it up buttercup”. Take it on the chin and all that sort of rot.
You may be wondering what I would personally endorse for the “crime” of both Huffman and the poor homeless woman? In the first instance I think honest to goodness community service (not attending red carpet events) would be better service – say in a soup kitchen for the next year so she can see how “those people” survive. In the case of the homeless woman I would suggest giving her a helping hand to get on her feet would be much more appropriate because you are talking about two human beings here, her son as well as herself. Jail time is not going to help her situation – or his. Punitive measures are not always the answer when people have done something wrong.
However “the greatest country in the world” enjoys punishing their people, the more down on their luck they are the more they enjoy grinding their heels into them. All I can say is that I thank the Good Lord every day that I was born Danish and that I live in Canada where people are given compassionate care more often than not. I don’t say Canada is perfect, but we are doing a whole lot better than the USA.
Thank you Canada and thank you Mom and Dad for raising us here.

No comments:

Post a Comment