Tuesday, June 4, 2013

60, Sixty, Six Oh, 60!

The day has arrived and is a milestone unlike any other birthday.  There’s the Sweet 16, the Coming of Age 21, the Into Adulthood of 30, Middle Age at 40, the Dignity of 50 and now the Threshold to Old Age 60.  Or, we can look at this in a whole new way, 60 is the new 40.  Better yet we can simply ignore 60 as anything but a positive milestone that will take us into something interesting.
       As I get older I find myself less focused on numbers and more interested in experience but that is not to say that the number 60 doesn’t “sound” rather on the old side.  Even when I was younger I always thought 60 sounded older than 70 for no logical reason that I know of.  On this day of days I have to say that I do not feel one bit older than yesterday nor do I feel older than 5 years ago.  In my being I feel as young and spring like as when I graduated from high school even though my body is not in quite the same agreement! 
       If joy of living really is a factor in longevity I do not believe that I have much to worry about on that front.  I enjoy my life, I enjoy the world around me and I certainly anticipate the possibilities still before me.  Long live the Joyful!

No comments:

Post a Comment