Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Working on the Game

Practicing the A-game daily has put me on my mettle; it has taken me off the couch and out of doors despite rain, thunder and lightning.  It has brought me back to the computer and my writing despite some mental kicking and screaming.  Setting goals, making lists, ensuring that promises are kept, it is becoming a full time job.  Who knew?
       Seriously, studying the daily routine and figuring out what is wasteful and then filling in that time with something valuable takes imagination as well as dedication.  I have come to realize that the art of conversation is a valuable asset when the rain becomes too much to handle and the creative juices stall.  Television is a real inhibitor to conversation but it has been hard to turn that ridiculous machine off even when there is “nothing” on worth watching.  It is remarkable that such an invention can destroy conversation as well as family life.  Now that may seem like a very common place, unoriginal remark but what I have discovered is that as much as I have disparaged television I had never taken into account how much I actually watched it.  It is rather like consuming food, if you don’t write it down you tend to ignore the amount!
       So goodbye Victor and Nicki, goodbye SVU, goodbye NCIS and goodbye reruns.  It is time to turn my attention to my mother and my family and reintroduce myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment