Sunday, July 21, 2013

Summing Up 60 Years

Now that I have reached the wise old age of 60 I ask myself “what do I know”?  I can be sarcastic and say “not much” but the truth is that in the last decade I’ve learned that one shouldn’t be afraid to be who they are, that no one is looking.  Embrace life, love nature and enjoy family and friends as much as possible.  Continue to learn and look for adventure in the ordinary.  Lastly, while one should never look back with regret, I really wish that I had learned these things in my 20’s.   How much richer could my life have been, I don’t know, but I go forth for the next 40 plus years eagerly, with anticipation.
One can make bucket lists, lists of goals, plans of all kinds but life has a way of throwing curve balls at us when we are most happy.  I’ve learned that while it’s okay to vent and even curse at the untimeliness of the ball it is useless to try to work against things one has no control over.  Rather it is wise to simply move along with the curve, fix what can be fixed and otherwise learn from the occurrence.  Learning to let go of the control button when ultimately you have no control over the matter has been a great stress reliever.  In particular I know that I have almost no control over outcomes at my place of work so it is futile to work myself into a tizzy about things that I can’t fix.  Instead, I go with the flow, and do the things that I can do well and let those who earn the big bucks figure out what I’ve already seen is a bust.  Lessons along the road of life have been learned well, rarely do I make the same mistake twice.  Having a sense of humour and the ability to laugh at one’s self is priceless.
       One thing I know for sure, joy of living is the key to a long and happy life.
       Life, I salute you!

No comments:

Post a Comment