Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What a Wonderful World

It’s been an interesting three weeks since my last blog.  I have lived through our province’s State of Emergency feeling a riot of emotions from astonishment, disbelief, admiration, horror and relief as friends and neighbours have suffered through the Flood of the Century.  There are really no words to describe the devastation my own near town has suffered and continues to suffer but I truly admire the way Albertans have rallied around their neighbours to repair their homes and come to grip with the trauma they have been experiencing.
       I’ve also had the joy of working in my garden for the last 3 weeks which has been so wonderful and rewarding.  To see my vision of the yard come into being is beyond delightful.  Over here is the Moonlight Walk (all white flowers along the lawn border), over there is the sweetheart bed, slowly filling up with the pink bleeding hearts, deep red peonies, fire engine red begonias and petunias.  Hanging baskets echo the red begonias along with deep orange ones; pale apricot azaleas reside in black pots.  Interspersed are white marble hens and true to life green frogs.  The fish pond is still a gleam in my eye but I can picture it some weeks hence.
       Summing it all up this vacation has been a wonderful, though small, high school reunion with 12 classmates.  Extremely casual with good food, wine and talk we all made the rounds of each other for excellent catch up and getting reacquainted with each other.  It is very true that we all pick and choose what we feel is important in our lives and as I get older one of the things I feel strongly about is making connections with the people who knew me when I was young.  As part of my pre-retirement research I have read that social interaction is vital to a healthy old age and I find myself going to the next level in building those relationships.  It seems to me that the more we talk to other human beings the more we discover what a small world it really is and in the words of the late, great Louis Armstrong “What a Wonderful World”.

No comments:

Post a Comment