Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Mingle, Mingle, Mingle


Company parties are not my thing.  I find company parties forced, phony and basically a drinking bash.  However, I must confess that this year I again took the plunge and attended a party that turned out to be quite a lot of fun.  What was the difference for me from previous years?  I pushed myself to mingle.  This is well beyond my comfort zone but I did it.  I moved around the room, stopped to chat for a few minutes with someone I knew, then excused myself and moved on to the next victim.  In other words, I did what everyone else has always done to me.

       It seemed ruthless but I felt that I was in control.  Now isn’t that a peculiar way of enjoying oneself at a party?  Being rude, almost.  However this seems to be the established mode of cocktail parties, mingle, chat, and excuse oneself before you get bored with the person you are chatting to so move on before they do.  I stopped and had a little snack here and there, refused wine and stuck with bottled water, and finally gave out and sat down when my knee started talking back to me.

       It was a true learning experience for me in how to have fun at a Christmas Party.  I just hope I didn’t hurt anyone’s feelings.  And hey, I got a memorabilia picture out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment