Saturday, November 9, 2013

Third Anniversary


It’s hard to believe this month is the third anniversary of my blog. I’ve run the gamut of thoughts running through this brain from childhood reminiscence to political musings.  I’ve talked a lot about values and the confusion created by a rapidly moving, technology driven world.  When I commute on the city train each day I observe individuals many of whom I see on both the morning and evening commute.  I wonder about their lives, how similar are they to mine, and I wonder about the reason we all toil as we do and to what end.

       I recall a gentleman I worked with some years ago, he would muse to any of us his colleagues with the question “what’s the meaning of life” and reflecting back on it now I realize that he must have been in a very serious older mid life crisis (I suspect he was in his late 40’s or early 50’s at the time).  Thinking about my 60 years I feel “venerable” but only from the point of surprised and shocked.  Somehow crossing over that threshold has me in a state of constant incredulity.  It’s not that I dread age per se, I just feel very surprised that I feel as I do at SIXTY.  I don’t feel the way I would expect an older person would feel.  I still feel very young and giddy.  So I observe the people on the train / bus and wonder “what are they thinking about”, to what end are we all toiling our lives away.  Naturally I understand that we have to survive, we have to earn a living.  But is this all there is?  Are we really meant to work so hard and enjoy life so little?

       It’s a disturbing thought.

       But I am lucky to have my mother with me still and I can tell my readers this – even at 80 the questions are the same, the sense of humour is still alive and rip roaring.  There’s still a lot of enjoyment in life 20 years down the road, despite aches and pains.  So despite my sense of surprise even dismay, I can smile and realize I still have a lot of laughing to do.  I hope you do to.

No comments:

Post a Comment