Sunday, November 24, 2013

Remembering Kennedy

As a Canadian it’s interesting to realize that one of the most significant moments in our political life may have been the day John Kennedy was assassinated. Certainly for me it is one of the moments that I remember.  I was 10 years old, in grade 5 and had never heard of President Kennedy until he was dead.
       My classroom had a door that went to the principal’s office and that day our principal opened the door for the first time, beckoned Miss Bailey over, whispered in her ear and before our astonished eyes she burst into tears.  She quickly composed herself, the principal went back into his office and as she turned towards us she said “President Kennedy has been shot”.  We all looked at her in wonder, not at all comprehending.  And then Susan Kennedy, who sat across the aisle from me, whispered across “So sad, and a relative”.  That struck me as funny although of course I did not laugh.  I was pretty certain that President Kennedy was not her relative.
       Having that experience in a small Canadian town, I can only imagine what it must have been like for American citizens on November 22, 1963.  I’ve seen plenty of media coverage, movies, read the books on the Kennedys and the conspiracy and still I find it an awe inspiring moment in history.  For many it spelled the end not only of the Kennedy era in the White House, but the end of an era of building up, of innocence and a belief in the American Dream. 
       John and Jacqueline Kennedy had brought glamour and style to the White House.  They brought youth, intellectualism, idealism and charm.  As much as there is to criticize and condemn there is even more to admire and inspire.  The Kennedys brought poets, artists and intellectuals into the White House.  Jacqueline Kennedy restored priceless art, furniture and curios in the White House and returned it to former glory, indeed, she made it more glamorous than ever before.  Celebrities flocked to the White House, fashion took on a whole new life with a young Jackie wearing charming little suits and pillbox hats.  And let’s not forget the oh so cool sunshades of both John and Jackie.
       I remember my father bought a comic book telling the life story of John Kennedy and of the summer camp counsellor who confiscated it from me and refused to give it back to me.  It’s probably a collector’s item now.
       Flash forward 5 years and I remember how Jackie, the young widow suddenly became vilified because she started to date and then ended up marrying Aristotle Onassis.  How fickle the American public became.  Their icon had fallen in their eyes.  It was many decades before she went back up on the pedestal again.
       50 years later, the Kennedys are still glamorous.  Still the number one story of the ‘60’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment