Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Henrietta Sees a Ghost

We had a glorious weekend of wonderful heat and I took advantage of the sun to hang my laundry out of doors.  As chance would have it I had the chickens out free ranging in the back yard at the same time I started to hang up my sheets.  All of a sudden I saw a double line of chicks streaming rapidly from the evergreen tree by the house down into their chicken run.  What on earth, I wondered.  I had never seen them voluntarily head for the coop so I looked about me, expecting to see a dog or cat lurking suspiciously nearby.  I saw nothing.
I continued hanging up the sheets when suddenly there was another commotion coming from the chicken run.  Now the hens were heading for their coop and going inside.  What on earth?  Then it hit me.  The flapping of the sheets was sending the girls into a tizzy.  I began to giggle.  I suppose this was the first time they had noticed the sheets appearing out of nowhere and because of the breeze there was some wild flapping going on that they were not used to.
What was remarkable was how swiftly the girls proceeded, in orderly fashion yet with speed, into the chicken run at the first sign of trouble.  Usually when they get a little upset they will run willy nilly every which way.  One can always wonder at the strangeness of the universe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment