Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Autumn Dreams


 
I was having a bit of a snooze on the front porch today and I thought “now this is the life of Riley”.  The sun was pouring in through the windows, the orange and yellow leaves were gently falling to the earth and all was mellow and calm.  The truth is that I have a hard time taking a nap so I lay on the sofa with eyes half closed and just thought about . . . nothing.  It was almost like meditation, making the mind blank only I didn’t think about it, it just happened.
With all the hustle and bustle of this past year I realize that I am not someone who can sit quietly for very long.  I need to be doing something which seems remarkable.  When I was younger, and especially while I was working, the thing that I liked best to do was just sit still and do nothing.  Now I find myself moving from one thing to another like some human pendulum.  It is very disconcerting to have this mobile side of myself surface.  I’ve tried to calm myself down and tell myself to slow down (especially after that ridiculous fall in the fish pond) but to no avail.  But this afternoon I told myself to go check out the front porch and the next thing I knew I was lying on that sofa and just enjoying the heat of the day.  Amazing.
It was more amazing to realize that I had let my mind go blank for a few moments and just experienced a sense of peace and wonder with little conscious thought.  Of course, the moment I realized I was doing it I snapped out of it which was unfortunate but also amusing.  Obviously it takes time to get into true meditation mode.  Last summer my sister and I tried to do a meditation which lasted about 2 minutes before my sister got distracted and began talking.  Another few seconds and it probably would have been me that would have broken the silence.
But quiet time is really nice . . . and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment