Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Rest of My Life


I look back on the last 12 months and think “how awesome” which is exactly what my coach had said my reaction should be, rather than “how time flies”.  I look into the future and can only see more of the same, a time of activity, fun and fulfillment.  That’s how everyone’s retirement should feel, happiness and fulfillment all rolled into one satisfying emotion. 
What made these months so special?  Every day felt as though I had something to accomplish when I woke up.  It’s deeply satisfying to work all day at something and go to bed at night tired but with a sense of accomplishment all the time knowing that another day will be filled with the same satisfaction.  Maybe some folks have this feeling when they go to their regular job but it was never like that for me; if you do, you are very lucky indeed.
Now don’t get me wrong, not every day was one where I was building something.  Some days I would work on my writing, other days I would be shopping with my mother or going to the hairdresser for a new look and sometimes I simply took a rest from hammering and gophering to just socialize with friends or family.  Remarkably I never felt that I was goofing off or that I should feel guilty if I wasn’t going at top speed.  I spent about 3 days in bed or lying on the sofa in the early stages with my broken wrist but other than that I didn’t even have a day of loafing in bed.  Every day I felt rested and ready for the next thing on the list.  Every day I spent time outdoors even if it was only to watch the hens frolic in the yard.
I was fortunate that we had an amazing autumn, a mild winter, an early and lovely spring and a terrific summer.  I certainly had a bad time of it with the broken wrist but even that turned out to be pretty tame compared to what it might have been.  Somehow I managed to get things done with the cast on, even typing one handed!
There’s a lot to be said for having a plan laid out and more to be said for being flexible as things come on sale, weather changes to alter the staging of construction and basically keeping one step ahead of The List!  What I have learned about myself this year is that I am simply not the type of person to get bored, that I can always find something to do, something to learn and most of all, I can always, always wake up with a smile on my face.
Call me Pollyanna, but this life isn’t half bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment