Monday, October 26, 2015

Nine Parts of Desire - a Personal Review


At last I have finished reading Geraldine Brooks’ book “Nine Parts of Desire” and rather than go over the book what I would like to do is review my reactions as I read the 12 chapters.
The first thing I realized was how truly ignorant I was about the Moslem religion.  I had read the Encyclopedia Britannica as well as Wikipedia biography of the prophet Mohammed but that was many years ago and neither article was particularly enlightening on the status of women.  The second thing I realized was that a great deal of what we hear about the religion is in fact not truly part of the teachings of the Koran but rather cultural beliefs that have been folded into the religion.  This is important to understand because a great deal of how the women are treated is not really prescribed in the Koran.
The book moves from one country to another and describes the condition of women in these countries through the voice of various women.  I learned that Iran (at the time of publishing in 1994) was the most liberal of the countries and this surprised me as I had always thought that Ayatollah Khomeini was a vicious tyrant who suppressed women.  In fact Saudi Arabia is the most fundamentalist country in the Middle East (at the time of publishing at any rate).  Brooks’ also writes about Jordan, Palestine, Iraq, Eritrea, Egypt, Syria and Turkey.
The further into the book I got the angrier I became; I mean that I was not just upset but very angry.  I was angry at the primitive thinking of both the men and the women.  Then I became angry at our Western governments for not recognizing the condition of these women whose human rights were being violated daily.  Then I wondered in bafflement at how hypocritical our governments are in using expedience as the way to work out “global or foreign policy”.  We live with so much bullshit and as always the ultimate concern is money.   That’s right, as usual everything boils down to money.
It makes me really angry because I am struggling with feelings of racism and justification that are against my upbringing and better nature.  I am watching masses of refugees flooding out of the Middle East into Europe and I am feeling threatened not only on behalf of Europeans but also for Canadians because I am seeing these refugees as economic opportunists just as the Hungarian minister said.  But as I have been reading this book another alarm has gone up in my mind and that is the question of whether these people (most of which are young men) are being sent into Europe to undermine the countries, just as some fanatics have threatened to do in Denmark. 
But now as I have finished the book I have taken time to absorb everything I have read and what I feel is that I need to know more about Islam, the Islamic state and what it means for the women in these countries.  I need to understand if these women are brainwashed into believing their religion or if they honestly believe the teachings are true and right for them.  Have they really been educated to understand what opportunities are in the world waiting for them?  I need to know what the United Nations position is on the condition of women and children in the Middle East and everywhere that Islam is the main religion.
As a woman I feel that it is utterly wrong to endorse a religion that would suppress a woman’s potential by locking her up in her house and telling her that her duty in life is to reproduce.  As part of the human race, women everywhere have a right to human rights and the human rights sanctioned by the United Nations is I believe the benchmark that the world has agreed on.  Am I correct in believing this?  Please see the link below to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on the UN site;  the fifth paragraph clearly states equal rights for men and women.
I would encourage all of my readers to read this book and think about what is happening in the Middle East.  I think it’s time we look at this from a completely different perspective and that what needs to happen is that all nations in the world who believe that women have the same human rights as men should boycott the Middle East and all countries that adhere to fundamental Islam. 
 
Footnote:  Just to be clear, I feel the same way about any fundamental religion or culture that suppresses women, children or men.

UNITED NATIONS SITE:


GERALDINE BROOKS’ SITE:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment