Tuesday, October 6, 2015

September Book Reads in Review


It’s not often I find a book that makes me laugh out loud but I just finished one that had me bursting out loud countless times.  “The Woefield Poultry Collective” by Susan Juby is hilarious as it describes an idealistic girl’s dream of a sustainable farm which is seen through the eyes of four different characters.  I love it when I can recommend a Canadian author and I can in this case.
I especially liked the way the character of Prudence was eternally optimistic even as she takes her pitiful little “crop” of radishes to the farmer’s market and manages to survive the humiliation of the real farmers’ competition.  Fortunately for me I don’t have dreams of attending a farmer’s market so I will be spared such embarrassment!  But the misadventures were very relatable and funny.
I also enjoyed “The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend” by Katarina Bivald.  This is a Swedish author who writes about a Swedish book clerk who travels to the American mid-west to meet a fellow book lover.  It’s a nice little tale about a dying town embracing a foreigner for the sake of one of their own.  I found it very well translated which is unusual as I often find myself re-editing a translated book from the Scandinavian languages.  I didn’t find any awkward translations which was really very surprising.
Last on this week’s list is Stephen King’s “Joyland” which was so un-King like I felt it was a little flat.  I didn’t find any horror or suspense in the book and it did not end on a gruesome note or even a discouraging one.  There were a few times in the story when I got confused and thought maybe I was reading a Thomas H. Cook novel but that bit of suspense diminished almost with the next sentence.  Don’t get me wrong though, it was a nice read but it was not typical Stephen King.  It was a nice surprise, actually.
It was a quiet couple of weeks in the reading department but next week I will review “Nine Parts of Desire” by Geraldine Brooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment