Saturday, September 17, 2016

Hillary Clinton - Why I Like Her


In 2008 I watch the Democratic primaries and was baffled again and again as the journalists summed up the debates with the remark “definitely Obama won that debate” over Hillary Clinton.  I wondered out loud what debate they had been listening to because he virtually said nothing while Clinton gave solid answers to complex questions.  As I’ve listened to speeches that President Obama has given over the last 8 years I have not heard one speech that was memorable or one where he said very much that was meaningful or relevant to the moment at hand (although I did think one speech he gave after a mass shooting was quite good).
I have watched the 2016 primaries I once again feel that Clinton gives solid, informed answers even though politically I believe Bernie Sanders is more my type of politician insofar as the social beliefs he espouses.  I find myself wondering why the media continues to say that Hillary Clinton has a “trust problem” with people.  I don’t understand it but then again I believe that the whole “email scandal” is a tempest in a teapot and just to shut people up here and now, how many of you are aware that Cheney also had a private email server?  If anyone heard Bill Clinton's speech about his wife’s accomplishments since she was a young college student you know that this woman has spent her whole adult life working for people in one capacity or another.  I truly believe that Hillary Clinton wants to change the world for the better and I am amazed when people say “she’s only in it for herself”.
Now here’s something that I have noticed in my working life about women and women bosses.  Most women dislike female bosses, period.  I don’t know why that is but it has been my observation that women seem to have some kind of animosity over women who succeed beyond the secretarial pool, so to speak.  I happen to have worked for several female bosses and without exception I have liked them and respected them.  My last boss was a particularly strong boss with a powerful position in a big company and she was fearless in pushing back when required in order to ensure that the right decisions were made.  For some reason when women were in meetings where she would do this type of push back it came across as aggressive and yet if a man had done it not an eyebrow would have been raised.  Equating these personal experiences with Hillary Clinton I suspect that the media (and voters) have a problem with a woman who can be as strong minded as any man in a powerful position.  It is the only explanation that I can find to understand why people say they don’t like Hillary.
With regard to any politician, one must be pragmatic with respect to honesty and integrity, especially when someone is seeking to be president of the United States.  But overall, can anyone seriously think that the alternative is remotely better?  I believe history will show that Hillary Clinton has been the most undervalued candidate up to this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment