Monday, October 3, 2016

Second Anniversary - Celebration

The actual day has come and gone but indeed I am celebrating my second anniversary in retirement.  Regrets?  Not at all.  Learnings?  Experiences?  There have been many but the highlight for me has been self realization.  I am more aware of the expectations that I put on myself and in some ways I have to thank those agonizing semi-annual “People at Work” performance assessments for making me so self aware and goal oriented.  At the time all the evaluations did was make me feel as though I could go nowhere and I felt less than inspired while working through them and then sitting through the meeting with my boss.  But now I put those same skills to use as I assess my daily, monthly and annual “performance”.
Why, you may ask?  When I took the retirement seminar one of the statements that the coach made resonated with me in a very meaningful and powerful way.  He said “When you look back on your year you should be able to say ‘what a ride’ instead of ‘time flew by’ and the difference struck me immediately.  As I have said in other blogs my first year did fly by but I could look back and pay myself on the back for literally being able to see what I had done that first year in the way of good building projects.  The first 4 or 5 months of year 2 began with me floundering a little bit until I worked through a few seminars on my own and now I can say that year 2 has also been a great success although the achievements are visible only to myself.  It’s like the difference between building the pyramids and writing the Declaration of Independence.  One is visible to all while the other works into the heart of the people.
Now what shall I do with year 3?  Whatever it may be I am sure I am up to the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment