Monday, October 17, 2016

Great Ideas


I’ve had a few lazy weeks and have been taking myself to task over this laziness.  I reflected on what I had read (and learned, one hopes) about jumpstarting my thinking.  Where were my ideas or even my thoughts taking me?  Was I even having any or was I simply numbing my brain by playing too much solitaire?  I realized that I had been distracted by some physical ailments and some personal worries but that it was time to set these excuses aside and continuing as I mean to go on.  In other words “get over yourself, Sanne”.
My way of pushing myself forward is always to start by cleaning the bathroom, sorting out some drawers and acquiring that sense of accomplishment that a clean room can give one.  So there I was, sorting through my hair ornaments and determining that all those mini elastics needed to go in a Ziploc bag.  That led me to thinking what a great invention Ziploc bags were which then led me to thinking “Ziploc bags and post-it-notes are probably two underappreciated inventions of the late 20th century”.  Ah the profoundness of it all.  The truth is rather sad or annoying depending on how you want to look at it but the fact is that the things that make a woman’s life easier are usually the last on anyone’s list of great ideas.  Sure a car is nice and so are power tools but what really is wonderful is an electric or gas stove, a refrigerator and maybe best of all the washing machine and dryer.  Sliced bread, check.  Eggs in cartons, check.  You get the idea.
So why do I think post-it-notes are so wonderful?  They eliminate the need for an assistant to explain to the numbskull boss for the 100th time that he needs to sign on the line “here”.  And don’t forget to call your wife at lunch and pick up the kids after work.  Okay, I’m kidding.  Post-it-notes adhere to documents so much better than a note with a paperclip.  I had a boss who actually didn’t trust post-it or paperclips and literally stapled everything he worked with because one time his father had a “situation”.  I thought that was maybe a little excessive but we all have our foibles.
Yes, life is wonderful when great ideas see the light of day.  Here’s hoping that one of mine may first see the lightbulb inside my head now that it is turned back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment