Sunday, November 13, 2016

Books Worth Reading in November


I noticed the other day that a Danish book “Countrymen” by Bo Lidegaard is now on sale in the history bargain section at Chapters.  This book is a great read for anyone interested in the German occupation of Denmark and the Danes’ view of “their Jews”.  There are not many books about Denmark in general nor about the Danes’ rescue of the Danish Jews from the Nazis.  This book has a very good perspective including some possibly negative aspects of how the Danish government cooperated with Germany.  I paid full price for it when I was in Dickson, Alberta but currently it is marked at $10 which is a great bargain.
I’m currently reading 2 books at the same time – “Song of the Lark” by Willa Cather which is the third of her Western American novels (the other 2 being “O’ Pioneer” and “My Antonia” both of which I have already read).  I like the way she writes about ordinary people who still manage to live an extraordinary life although not celebrated.  Cather depicts the early pioneers of Nebraska and Colorado with true empathy be they Norwegian, Bohemian, Swedish or American.  She also has a vast appreciation for nature and waxes eloquent about the beauties found in the stark prairies.
I picked up “Camelot Court” by Robert Dalleck the other day (on the eve of the election actually).  Irony of it is not lost on me.  Most of the beginning of the book is very familiar to me but I read with an open mind and in the hopes of understanding a little more of the quality and character of John Kennedy and his administration.  One of the best books I have read on Kennedy is “A Question of Character” by Thomas Reeves.  Still ahead is Dalleck’s “An Unfinished Life” which has been languishing on my shelf for a few months.  The fascination with JFK continues for many flaws, warts but so much charisma.
So many books, so little time!  I love going to the bargain books in Chapters and the other day I found some wonderful books that I can hardly wait to get at, but all in good time.  More for them next month!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment