Sunday, December 4, 2016

How to be a Perfect Retiree

There’s a time to be serious and there’s a time to be ridiculous to paraphrase Ecclesiastes. 
How can I possibly tell anyone how to the perfect retiree?  What would the perfect retirement look like to you?  Indeed, what looks great for one person would be utterly boring to someone else, painful even.  However, I can still suggest that what I have already written about in the past is still an excellent template on how to strive towards what would be perfect for you.  Yes, I am back at it, the 6 pieces are essential to be worked at in order to have the closest proximity to a “perfect retirement”.  They are, once again, Financial, Physical, Health, Social, Hobbies and Spirit.
The more I have researched and the more I have observed those who have retired the more strongly I can vouch that all 6 pieces need to be looked at, thought about and created into a pattern for your life in order for you to have the fullest satisfaction of that life in retirement.  I notice it most particularly in men, how unhappy they are in retirement because they don’t have Spirit or Social or Hobbies and in many cases, all 3 pieces are missing.  What is the point of saving a huge amount of money to still be dissatisfied when you quit the job you may or may not have enjoyed for the last 40 years?  What is the point of being physically fit or super healthy if you don’t find life exciting, interesting and fun?
If I may reiterate, so much of what we can benefit from is actually free.  Is there anyone who cannot access a park to walk in?  Is there anyone who doesn’t have a computer or at least access to one?  Does anyone not have access to a library?  Is anyone barred from a religious community?  I feel confident in saying that no one is barred from any of these things.
Naturally I must agree that if one hasn’t been able to save for a retirement and is dependent solely on what they would receive from CPP and Old Age Security you are going to have some struggles, especially if you either have a mortgage or are renting.  This is, indeed a problem, and one that I have not easy answer or solution for without going down the political gopher hole.  However, even for those struggling with financial concerns in their old age, there is still no excuse for not taking advantage of things that are free and may help you feel somewhat better despite your struggles.
I end as I began, there’s a time to be sad and there’s a time to rejoice.  Just saying . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment