Saturday, December 10, 2016

Christmas Baking Makes the World Go Round


I got the baking bug when I was fairly young.  I was baking Boston Cream Pies (from a box of course) by the time I was 11.  When I was 12 I started my first year of Home Ec. and received one of my most treasured recipes – chocolate chip cookies (still my prize winning recipe, although not that secret).  I still prefer to bake over cooking anytime but must admit here that it has been many years since I have gone gung-ho into baking mode.
Now that I am gently easing my way back into the kitchen I read through a not inconsiderable library of cookbooks with ever growing enthusiasm.  Yes, the operative word would be “read” as I find myself sticking to most of my well used original recipes as my go-to desserts.  I have some favored recipes, a Danish pound cake, an old Betty Crocker cream puff recipe, bran muffins, the above said chocolate chip cookies and my signature quiche (technically not dessert but it is pie).  I also make one amazing lemon meringue pie from scratch, using Ann Landers’ other sister’s recipe. 
I don’t know if you have noticed when reading a cookbook but many authors seems a little too happy to use odd ingredients.  What do I mean by odd?  Well, who has anise in the cupboard ready at hand?  Who has cardamom?  I have a little bit more than the basics of baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and chocolate but give me a break on other flavorings.  Yes I have cinnamon, I even have ginger but I don’t get a lot fancier than that “regularly”.  The trouble with getting into exotic spices and flavours is that they are very expensive and also expire before you could possibly use up the bottle.  Furthermore, you aren’t really sure if you are going to like the flavor anyway. 
That’s one thing.  The other thing is that many of the recipes (in particular Martha Stewart and Julia Child) are way too complicated.  I like the Company’s Coming recipes because they are very workable and tasty.  I also have a really good book from Reader’s Digest which my father bought for me many years ago.  That one is my go to for all basic recipes as well as cooking methods.  It’s my bible just as my mother’s wedding present cookbook is hers.  Between us we have things covered pretty well.
Did I mention I have the baking bug?  Mom and I are cooking up Christmas even as I write.  Ahh, don’t you love the smell of baked goods?

No comments:

Post a Comment