Sunday, August 5, 2018

Dolls and More Dolls


Much more than my sister Jeanette I loved my dolls.  I had inherited my mother’s doll when we lived in Denmark but it wasn’t something we could bring with us to Canada.  But our first Christmas in Canada I struck a lucky gold mine because the company my father worked for had a Christmas party and I got a doll for a gift.  As well, Mom and Dad bought me my beloved “Mary” which I still have today.  At different parties and events I got other small dolls that came in various sizes, they all looked the same and had reddish hair.  I don’t remember what they were called but I had about 6 or 7 of them ranging from 4 inches to 8 inches tall.  Glory days when we would get our Christmas and birthday parcels from my grandmother and dolls were in the parcel.  I remember getting a talking doll which a china head and beautiful dark hair.  I loved that doll. 

Two other memorable dolls that I got when I was 5 was a huge “baby” doll almost as big as me and that I always made be a boy doll (it was bald).  And the other was a yellow haired doll, very long but thin, made of a type of rubber that actually felt like skin (when it was lying under the bed in the dark and we crawled around playing monsters).  I had both of them for years and years, until I was an adult.  Eventually I think the boy doll got cut up and made into some kind of puppet monster for my nephew.  John and Jeanette were good at desecrating my dolls while keeping hers safe, which was ironic because she really didn’t like to play with dolls.  But they liked to perform surgery on my dolls as well as drawing on them.

Ah the trials of being a doll owner with siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment