Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Yesterday's Picture and Clothes


Yesterday I posted a picture of the 3 oldest of us “just because”.  But here’s what I remember about John’s outfit.  Jeanette and I also had sailor suit (dresses, but no hat) and one of our family traditions when we were really young was a Sunday walk.  Mom was always pushing the baby carriage with the current baby and we three would usually be either tagging behind Dad or leading the way on the sidewalk.  I remember wearing those sailor outfits and people naturally would watch us walking by (and I think admiring us because – hey, someone has to say it – we were a BEAUTIFUL family).  On one occasion some teenage boys saw us and began singing “It’s a long way to Tipperari” and I have always considered it a bit of a theme song for our family just because of that moment.  Dad got the biggest kick out of it so that may be way it sticks so strongly in my mind.
As you can see from the picture Nette and I are wearing identical outfits which was something we “did” for a large part of our childhood.  Mom was and is a fabulous seamstress and she made almost all of our clothes until well into adulthood.  I supposed because material was inexpensive when bought in larger quantities we would end up with identical skirts and dresses.  I don’t think it was all that unusual for mothers to sew clothes for their kids but Mom had real taste and style and often our clothes were quite sophisticated; at other times when we were tweens and teens our clothes were maybe a little too girly (I recall overhearing one girl call my dress, though lovely, “babyish”.  I was deeply hurt and self-conscious and rarely wore that pretty pink dress after that comment).  In grade 5 though I was one hot little number in a tight black little skirt when all the other girls were in poofs and pleats.  Strangely I did not get in trouble for wearing something kind of “sexy”.  But the following year I was the victim of a tug and war between Mom and my male teacher.  Mom sent me to school one freezing day in SLACKS.  Mr. Axon sent me home to change.  The battle was on, Mom sent me back with a not saying it was too cold for a skirt and so I was not changing.  All the rest of the day Mr. Axon called me George.  It was horrible for me.  But Mom had the bit between her teeth and was not going to be out-bullied by the teacher.
Clothes generally speaking was not big with me throughout school.  In some ways I was too much of a tomboy and care-for-nobody but once in a while, well, it could be a trial.  Farmor’s parcels as we got older had boots, hats and other items of clothing for us and sometimes we were in top style and other times we were … well FOREIGN.  But they were free, we were 5 kids and so we wore what Mom said we had to wear.  I went with the flow.  Jeanette . . . not so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment