Monday, February 20, 2017

Bee Keeping in Earnest


Last year I took the step of searching out and finding a mentor to learn more about beekeeping and I was very fortunate to find someone close to home who has taken me under his wing.  Having received my bee stings without dire consequences I am now happy to report that I have ordered my first bee colony and some of my supplies for my first season as a bee keeper.  I am still hoping to buy another colony early in the spring and then I will officially be able to call it an “apiary”. 
It was with some trepidation that I took the test in my knowledge of bees since it had been well over a year since I took my initial course.  Lucky for me I had read the first couple of chapters in my notebook and can brag that I got 87.5% on the test.  That means I am on the list to get one of the colonies from this particular beekeeper.  Most beekeepers don’t put you through that ordeal though as it is a bit nerve wracking.
The venture is fairly expensive to get into since the cost for 2 colonies is going to reach approximately $1,000.  Coupled with the fact that there is really little commercial return for 3 years it is quite a commitment to undertake.  However I am doing this for the long term benefits of learning something new, helping our environment and let’s just throw in world peace so that it sounds good. 
In fact I am taking on this new aspect of farming as part of the overall goal of developing a small working farm.  But more about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment