Thursday, March 22, 2018

Around the Topics


As my readers know by now I enjoy watching The View every morning.  I find a get an idea of what is going on in the USA in a stimulating way.  Today my big laugh came from Joy (she always gives me a kick) a she spoke about the sex lives of various animals.  Apparently this is actually a big hobby of hers.  It came up as they talked about the death of the last white rhino yesterday.  It’s sad to see species going extinct due to bad management and rogue hunting.  On the other hand a couple of months ago I saw a spot on Focus in Europe where in Germany they had 3 different types or scenarios of people who were concerned about a wolf species coming back into the forest.  There was the farmers whose livestock was being eaten (but they had so much land that they could not afford to put up proper fences), the environmentalists and the hunters.   Right off the bat I think hunters’ should not have a say in a scenario where we are talking about extinction. 

I think in terms of safety and livelihood that the farmers’ concerns should be addressed first.  The devastation of the livestock appeared quite significant so pending more information my thought would be that perhaps the environmentalists and government need to look at how they can best assist in saving the wolf without cost to the farmers.

As human beings, however disappointing we may be, our “needs” should trump anything else (within reason) including the environment.  I know this opinion upsets environmentalists a great deal but as human beings who else really can do anything?  Again, I am talking about simple economics, jobs and livelihoods; I am not advocating the desecration that big business has done in the past without checks and balances.  That needs to continue, but again, within bounds, within reason and not at cost of essential jobs. 

Here we go – should the B.C. and USA pipelines go ahead?  In my opinion, if the original assessments were legitimate and the provisos are kept, then yes.  I think that the pipelines are much safer than railways to get the oil to markets.  I also think that Canadians should use some common sense in their debates over this question.  Which currently I do not think is happening.  I think most people who enter the debate have not done their research but are just on bandwagons because they think its “politically correct”.

But this is just one person’s opinion – I get to say what I like on my blog.  And as Sarah Haynes said today on The View – responses should extend the courtesy of appreciating “nuances” in opinions.  Remember I have a sustainable farm, I have long done recycling, not using Styrofoam cups, driving a green car and myriad other environmental forms of helping our planet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment