Friday, March 23, 2018

Knock Back


I spoke little bit about social courtesy yesterday but I think it might be a good time to go deeper into the whole social media obsession.  I think we can safely say that people like the idea of being able to express themselves, air their opinions and so forth and what better way than through this phenomena that has grown over the last 15 years to be something that is so invasive in our lives that untold millions cannot live without having their telephone or tablet at the ready every moment day or night.  I’ve spoken against this for years, ad nauseum.  

Now I want to talk a little bit about the security breaches and invasion of privacy which Facebook is guilty of.  I had not realized until perhaps 6 or 8 months ago that those quizzes people send out are part of the problem in analyzing us and potentially making us victims of trolls of all sorts.  If we cannot disconnect from Facebook (and although I don’t believe I am an addict I see the value of staying connected with friends) I do think it behooves me (and others) to be more aware and to stop sending out a lot of the posters, quizzes and things we are not so sure about.  Caution is the better part of valour, as they say.

Nothing new or startling in this observation, but I do share it with my readers in the hopes of curbing some of our habits which may not be for our good.

Lastly, let us always remember to be kind, to give the benefit of the doubt to our Friends and not to jump to negative conclusions.  Take a few minutes to respond if you are disturbed or offended.  And when you do respond, sometimes sending a private message is much better than posting it on the public forum.  Just a tip that I have found very valuable.
I welcome additional suggestion and insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment