Monday, August 5, 2013

Life Happens by Surprise

As I have often said before “just when plans are made, life happens” which is one of the reasons why I hesitate to make long term plans.  I have been on hiatus for a couple of weeks but during that time I have spent quite a bit of time thinking about life so far and how to go about evaluating living.
       That sounds cryptic but I have had a lot to absorb in the past month.  Southern Alberta has lived through a State of Emergency that saw people rise to the occasion during the recovery but at the same time there has been a lot of underlying things happening which I don’t care to write about now.  That’s part one of my state of mind, trying to figure out the emotional capacity of our human nature.  In one way, we have a generosity of spirit, moved by compassion to aid those in need which is remarkable and heart warming.  But on the turn of a dime people will also balk at giving up tax dollars to help those who they perceive as already having enough.  The helping hand is removed.
       While all of this has been going on I have seen friends go through hardships.  Two very good friends have lost elderly parents, one has lost a job, another has gone through terrible turmoil with a neighbour, several have had to deal with their homes being flooded out and I wonder shakily when I will be hit with a similar disaster.  Yes, on the one hand I count my blessings, pour out compassion to my friends but with the other I trembling pray to the heavens that I will be spared.  For the time, for the time, please for this time.
       We all have a shield of self protection when faced with troubles, or at least we pray for that shield to protect us.  Perhaps it’s not our first reaction but eventually it filters through our minds to hope that the trouble doesn’t hit us.  But as I’ve said before we all go through phases in this life with ups and downs, days in the sun, and days of deep trouble and pain.  Some have it erratically, some in their early years, others seem spared until the end.   But somehow life seems to even out fairly. 
       Or does it?  Something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment