Thursday, August 29, 2013

Kicking Back at the Beach


2013 Ontario

The first  thing I need to say is "what the heck is going on with the plane seats?"  Seriously my butt barely got in the seat and while I am not a teenager anymore my ass is NOT THAT BIG!"  The world is filled with middle-aged people who are NOT 120 lbs anymore.  The seats are designed for a 20 year old Chinese person.  Give us a break, the prices are going up, the "extras" are becoming absurdly priced and quite honestly it was all I could do not to say something but why ruin my day?  Having said that I had a reasonably good flight and made like a sardine, snuggling up to the not unattractive 28 year old dude with the ponytail beside me.  He was not comfortable but hey, let him do the complaining.

It's not new that I refused all pay options, no thank you I do not want to pay for stale submarine sandwiches (loath them) and no I will not pay for stupid movies.  Instead I took out my trusty Kindle and finished reading my Dorothy Sayers Omnibus. I can confirm that Agatha Christie was, is and always will be the Queen of Crime.  Sorry, Lord Peter Wimsey and his feeble detecting are no match for Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot.  His ridiculous deductions reminded me more of Sherlock Holmes and I have never been fond of him.  That being said I did enjoy reading the omnibus simply for the nostalgia ofthe1920s.

Once completed I flipped immediately to a new book written by an author who lives in High River, Martine Leavitt's "My Book of Life by Angel".  Marty used to ride on the HR commuter bus with me and she sat right across the aisle from me on many occasions.  She was always busy writing but it was years before any of us realized that she was a published author.  A very sweet, kind, quiet person.  I finished her book as well, it was quite deep for a youth book - about a teenage runaway caught up in the sex trade and based in the time of the Vancouver Eastend murders.  It took a few pages for me to get into it but then I became completely absorbed and finished it well before landing.  Satisfying read and I can now greet her with confidence when she speaks at our Lunch and Learn in October.

 
 


Monday Aug 26,2013  Sauble Beach

We woke up to the gentle pitter patter of rain which very quickly changed to Noah's Deluge with all the trimmings of Thunder & Lightening; this is Day 2 of our Cottage Country vacation. However, we know how to make lemonade out of rainwater so we proceeded with experimenting with our meditation (we both pronounced it a success).  Then we chatted and when the rain stopped we hopped in the car and drove to the next little beach town called South Hampton and just looked around the shops and enjoyed the area.  Driving back we stopped in at a wonderful little art shop in the village of Sauble Beach before the rain started again and we had to run for the car.

Back at the cottage and Nette is making a western omlette for our brunch.  So while I am typing away at this blog I notice the date on my computer which says August 27th; I ask Nette "is this Monday?" and she says yes.  Then I check the computer setting, but sure enough it is on Mountain Time so "what is up with my computer?"  I cannot understand why it is setting at a day ahead because we are both positive we have not lost a day! Weird, weird, weird!

Back to the cottage story, oh my goodness but we are living the Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous!  My sister secured this cottage from a colleague who rents it out and when I thought "cottage" I thought shoebox.  Not!  We have a spacious 4 bedroom bungalow with a newly renovated open living and dining room and a huge kitchen with a breakfast area.  We have lots of yard space, picnic bench and BBQ area, front stone patio and lovely flowerbeds.  It's gorgeous and not at all as though we feel like we are in a bed & breakfast style cottage (like last year at Bonnie Doone).  The colleague (Sandy) stopped by in the afternoon to enjoy wine on the patio and then her sister and brother-in-law stopped to pick her up and stayed for more wine.  Charming afternoon!
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment