Sunday, August 18, 2013

Who Knew About Hoodoos, Dinosaurs & Drumheller

I was leaving the house this morning with a high sense of expectation about a frolicking good time with 2 good friends to parts unknown (at least by me).  Even before leaving I got a smile out of watching Mother and Bambi roam about the back yard in search of nibblies.  Once they sensed my presence they posed beautifully for me so the pictures here are evidence of my need to hone my photographic skills not their stance.  I also got to laugh again at the gigantic mushrooms discovered in the back 40 yesterday.  I had a great deal of fun taking some creative pictures of them.  Indeed, I am building a wonderful portfolio of mushroom photos which take the place of my greater love, butterflies.  Sadly they simply won’t be still enough to snap!
       Now about the day . . . took my time driving on a Saturday morning which was rather nice since very few cars on the road.  Sat on the curb of the parking lot for a couple of minutes before friends arrived and then it was woot, woot and on our way northeast to Drumheller and the land of dinosaurs, hoodoos and eleven bridges.  I bet you didn’t know there is a one horse town called Wayne that has a population of 28 and eleven bridges.  Such a tourist trap!  But first we wove our way through Calgary’s construction zone, also known as Stoney Trail or 22X.  Then we segued through Langdon and out on Hwy 9.  Zippadeedodahday we skimmed past the ultra speeders who were held up by the RCMP and swung in to Horseshoe Canyon.  What a panaroma of desert like or moon like or space like landscape and very different from the prairie over our shoulders.
       The Royal Tyrell Museum is simply amazing.  To say that I was seriously impressed is an understatement so all I can say is that Alberta really went all out to make a world class museum of this truly historical, amazing area.  First of all, the price to get in is really reasonable (adults $11), and then to be greeted by a gynormous dinosaur on entry was just perfect.  There was nothing lame about the continual displays of dinosaur bones, recreations of skeletons, instructional tableaux, it was really wonderful.  I do recommend anyone who is a real buff to go on a weekday and perhaps best not in the summertime as it was extremely well attended (understatement).  It was so crowded when we were there that we felt pushed along through the museum and barely scratched the surface of the place and yet I was quite satisfied with what we saw.  Then we cruised along to look for a ferry crossing but our stomachs forced us to turn around and head for a restaurant.  We found Athena’s and enjoyed some great Greek food (where Clint Eastwood had eaten back when he filed Unforgiven), a little wine and some good conversation. 
Then it was on to the hoodoos and again I can only wonder why I had never taken this trip before.  It was like being on a Star Wars set and waiting for George Lucas to call “roll it”.  We were very lucky to have a good sunny day but it was still good to scramble back in the car and get cooled down with some air conditioning.  Just because, we had to drive to Wayne and over eleven bridges, which of course we counted along the way.  Wayne used to be one of the big boom time mining towns back around 1920 but progress kind of left it in the dust (in more ways than one, you might say).

A truly memorable day back into history.


No comments:

Post a Comment