Friday, August 16, 2013

Meditating on Life So Far

I have been having a very enjoyable summer despite unpredictable weather toiling away in the garden and contemplating my life so far.  One of the things I have been thinking about is how crossing the threshold of 60 has, in my mind at least, created a feeling of venerable-ness.  I say that with a smile but at the same time I find myself coming into the belief that I am entitled to respect, that I am entitled to deference, that perhaps I know a thing or two.  Sometimes I get those feelings in a spirit of resentfulness (as when I find myself standing up on the bus – how many times did I relinquish a seat for an “old lady” in my day?), or with a sense of impatience when “people” don’t seem to get it, but many times I simply meditate on what I am actually experiencing.
       Some of the observations I have noted while I water the flowers or lift up rocks as we build our waterfall revolve around how one ought to prevent oneself from thinking about “back in the day” or otherwise reminiscing in such a way as to feel that the past was the best.  At this stage of the game I really feel that while many things in my childhood were halcyon the present day is something of a wonder.  Despite my irritation with cellphones I must admit that they are wonderful inventions (when used appropriately).  I love microwaves, I love airplanes, I love all my kitchen appliances, I love television and videos, PVRs and all the “conveniences” of the 21st century.  Of course I deplore the increasing violence but at the same time I wonder if one hundred years ago things weren’t even more violent than today.  Maybe it’s true that baby boomers had the best of any generation before or since from the perspective of 1960’s suburban life.
       What I know for sure today is that I am truly contented with where I am in my life mentally, physically and spiritually.  I feel as though I have put in a good deal of time and effort in creating the being that I am and now I am ready to fulfill the next phase of a really fantastic life.
       And that makes me feel pretty darn good.
ON THE EQUATOR

No comments:

Post a Comment