Friday, September 13, 2013

Communicating is Fun

My writing muse seems to have taken a vacation so I have been looking at other creative avenues and find myself suddenly addicting to card making.  Who knew there were so many new inventions in paper art?  I have been seriously out of the loop.  There are affordable machines that can emboss, cut and imprint.  While I was aware of punches and stamps I had no idea of the range of themes available.  Look out Papyrus, you may have lost a valued customer!
       Naturally I have looked further along in the card making process because what is the point of creating a bunch of cards if one is not going to take up letter writing again.  Fortunately for me I have a number of friends who are not fluent in email so that will pose no problem.  But I wonder about other people who may not have the knack of writing, or indeed, keeping in touch with friends.  Letter writing is a true art form and in some ways I believe that it was part of my writing apprenticeship.
       I began writing letters to my grandmother overseas when I was 8 years old.  Those early letters entailed drawing a picture and then writing a story describing what the picture meant.  By the time I was 10 I was writing detailed letters without any picture prompting me along.  By 14 I was writing to one of my aunts and 2 cousins as well as my grandmother and shortly thereafter took up writing to 3 friends as we moved away from our childhood home.
       Nowadays I don’t believe young people even know what a letter is; it’s rather like the days after the invention of the telephone when people suddenly stopped making afternoon “calls” as in visits.  We simply have to move along to the new ways, darling.  From morning retro.calls to telephone chat to card sending to emails and then on to texting.  Whatever will they think of next?  Ah, a cuttlebug and back to cards.  Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment