Sunday, March 2, 2014

Peculiar Weekend

This has been a strange weekend with extremely cold temperatures that that are keeping families home which makes it nice for bonding, housekeeping and simply putzing about.  However, one look at the world news has sent everything sideways, wondering if we are perilously close to another war.  How does Russia go from hosting the world with the Olympic Games, supposedly creating goodwill, to mobilizing their army to invade a country?
This evening a good part of the world will be watching the Oscars but I find myself disturbed and wondering what I will be waking up to tomorrow morning.  I cannot seriously think about who had the prettiest dress on the red carpet or who was the better actor when what I am really thinking is that there are so many pockets of war around the world that it is only a matter of time before some lunatic lights the keg of dynamite.
The face of war is nothing like what you see in the movies, and it’s not even what you read in books.  War is more horrible than anything one can possibly imagine and most horrifying of all is how quickly one’s neighbour can change from an ordinary citizen to someone you neither recognize nor understand.  My parents lived through World War II in an occupied country and some of the graphic stories my father told strikes utter fear in my heart should something like that happen again.  Once fighting starts in Europe who knows where it will lead.
I am extremely concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment