Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Imparting Knowledge

This week I begin the daunting task of imparting all my knowledge to someone else.  It has been said time and again that “no one is irreplaceable” and yet when one is trying to train someone it often becomes more like “molding in one’s image”.  The truth is that as much as one would like to think that the job has been done to the best of anyone’s ability, a new person will always put on their own stamp and make the job their own.  And that is as it should be. I can live with that, I can give up control of the position and the job. 

It has been a long time since I’ve trained someone to take over for me but the mantle of mentorship falls quickly around my shoulders.  There’s a feeling of pride in what I do and know and there’s a strong element of caring, of wanting the successor to succeed.  I try not to hover over her shoulder, I won’t criticize if the wording isn’t exactly the same as what I would do, I remind myself that she is making this her own.  The control freak is retiring.

As I begin the onboarding of my replacement I am also offboarding myself and that feels a little strange.  But am I feeling anxiety?  Not yet but I know the shoe will drop at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment