Thursday, August 6, 2015

Day 3 in Poland

So here I  a m in a very hot, sunny Poland cooling off in our beautiful hotel (which I would rate as 5 Star) after a very full day of shopping in the open market in Nowy Targ (New Market).  We had done a pretty thorough job of it in Zankopane ye sterday (a full 8 hours)  so I am pretty sure I have a good  understanding of how to say thank you in Polish ( jenquia).

I was surprised that there were so many trees in Poland; for some reason I thought because the country was so old that all the forests would have been chopped down.  When I arrived in Poland I landed at Krakow airport and the terrain around it was gentle, rolling hills.  The following day when we drove to Zankopane it became more mountainous although not as majestic as the Rockies.  The town of Zankopane is for tourists, much like Banff insofar as it caters to tourists but they have a huge open market with excellent paved roads that are made for pedestrians only. 

I enjoyed the native cheese specialty made of lamb  & goat milk, served hot.  Later I tasted their Whiskey flavoured ice cream which I can recommend highly.  Prices of everything is very reasonable and food is especially cheap but very good.  I have been enjoying traditional Polish meals and am pleasantly surprised at how much I am enjoying the flavours.  Portions are very large so one must be cautious not to order too many side dishes unless you are prepared to not fit into your new clothes!

Tomorrow we travel to Auschwitz and I expect it will be a very powerful experience.

More then! Meanwhile, I think I need a siesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment