Saturday, August 8, 2015

Wieliczka Salt Mine

Yesterday we went to the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial Museum but since I am writing on the fly I will leave that experience for tomorrow.

Today we went to the salt mines and let me just say that it was more than just salt from the mines since salt was dripping from my brow.  Another day of 35C temperatures!  They "warned" us that it would be between 14 to 16C in the mines and we whispered "please God".

Let me say that the experience in these mines is remarkable.  Aside from the mind blowing experience of the British Museum this has been the most impressive museum I have ever seen.  The various chambers are virtually works of art,carved out of the salt, they are amazing and well worth the trip down under. One of the things that I have been noticing more and more on trip here in Poland is how artistic and creative the Polish people are as well as attention to details.  I have always been led to believe that the Danes make the most impressive workmanship in the whole world but I very much think the Poles have them beat!  The carvings in this salt mine are proof of that!

One of the things that I am struggling with is the difference of Polish to other languages that I know and I really believe I am missing out on a lot by not being able to read Polish.  I had thought I would bone up on Polish history so I read James Mitchener's "Poland" last winter and while he had done some meticulous research it only scratches the surface of this amazing and complex country.

I want to recommend to my readers - if  you get  a chance to come to this country, you should definitely do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment