Saturday, August 22, 2015

Round and about Denmark

My time here in Denmark has been a whirlwind of family exchange (I am the package) but at the same time the family is taking me on site tours along the way!

Denmark hasn't had a great summer in the way of weather, the family tells me, but you sure cannot tell from the lushness of lawns, the green trees, rolling hills and blooming roses and other flowers in their gardens!  Denmark simply is a beautiful country.  There isn't the same hustle and bustle or building going on in Denmark that I saw in Poland and certainly not the "newness".  In fact in some ways it appears Denmark is starting to look a little worn and not enough care taken of its buildings (the roads are still great).  I see contrasts with Poland but also similarity in the love of bright colour on houses (mustard yellow and a kind of orange).

I have visited the small harbour town of Nibe which in the distant past some of my family came from.  I've visited other coastal towns and some harbours look bustling and busy while others appeared very qu iet.  Summer holidays are over from mid-August with children back in school and adults back at work so the sailing ships and yachts were docked.  Harbour restaurants are empty so we certainly had the pick of tables where I confess, I made a pig of myself eating wonderful fresh fish sandwiches and delicacies.  There's nothing like a good, fresh fish!

I've seen a fantastic Marineland called Oceania in north Jutland and I have visited the town of Blokhus to see the H.C. Andersen Sand Sculptures which were simply amazing!  Here in Aarhus where I am currently visiting family I have already seen a Viking museum (small) and then "old Aarhus" which is similar to the Heritage Park we have in Calgary.  It's many, many buildings reconstucted from different centuries in Denmark- from the 1600's to 1974.  Remarkable.  Many times I had a sense of deja vu to centuries back, a feeling both delightful and a little eery.  We had our lunch there, made from authentic recipes from the late19th century, and the flavours were simply wonderful.

You could say that  I am enjoying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment