Saturday, November 19, 2011

First (Official) Anniversay

As I told you yesterday since beginning a series of anecdotes about our arrival in Canada I have had such wonderful feedback from my friends that I am encouraged to continue in this vein for a while but today I simply had to recognize my first anniversary as a blogger.  Bucket List, Hodge Podge, Canada, Critters, Country Rambling are some of the labels I have used over the course of this year of blogging.  I have had a great deal of enjoyment writing whatever came into my head.  I know the experiment may have been painful sometimes for my readers (apparently I talk too much about my dieting woes) but I beg you to cut me a little slack!  Can you imagine having to wake up at 4 a.m. five days a week to prepare for work?  This has been my routine for nearly 12 years now and a year ago I made the adjustment to blog rather than spend the first 30 minutes having my coffee and toast in bed while I read.  That has been my routine for 40 years!  It’s my way of slowly waking up and getting mentally ready for my day.
 When I was 13 years old I began writing my first “book”, inspired by Louisa May Alcott’s “Eight Cousins”.  I think I may even have that first effort lying around in one of my boxes.  I always loved Composition as a subject in school and I especially loved it when we could write about something outside a set program.  I remember in Grade 8 I wrote a fanciful tale about the love relationship of an orange peel with an apple peel.  I recall laughing while I wrote it and I really didn’t care what anyone else thought about the story since I had so much fun with the composing of it.  As my friends will tell you, every once in a while the sense of mischief gets into me and I will say or do something really absurd just for the heck of it.  After a while you will get the sense of it that I am pulling your leg while I am blogging, I just can’t help myself!  The other day 2 of our Venezuelan colleagues were standing in the hallway chatting away in Spanish and I passed them with the remark “Hey guys quit speaking Norwegian.”  They cracked up (okay, you had to be there!)
The most popular blog was the finale of Dancing with the Stars where I named Jennifer Grey and Bristol Palin “this is strictly off the cuff – tension mounts as we sit through the final hour of DWTS – who will win?”  Once in a while you may have noticed that I would do a celebrity story which was really a test to see if the name dropping would bring up the viewing.  Not the case.  I think the combination of Jennifer Grey and Bristol Palin, and the mix of DWTS and The Tea party all caused the “hits”.  You can see on the side panel other popular posts include Tarzan of the Apes, Windsor Park Collegiate and Ecuador. 
I guess what I want to say today is that I am grateful that there is a free venue where I can share my writing with the public even though it is a really tiny slice of the universe.  When I get a simple `like` on Facebook I am happy, comments are even better, when I get a critical comment I am inspired to do better.  So thank you to Blogspot, thank you to my followers, thank you to my friends and family who are encouraging me.  I hope the next year will be better and that I will give you lots of cozy thoughts and lots of laughs. 
My cup runneth over!

No comments:

Post a Comment