Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tripping the Light Fantastic

This phrase first appeared in Shakespeare as”tripping on his toe” and then was picked up by Milton as “light fantastic toe” and from thence to Thackeray “plied the light fantastic toe” and finally to Lawlor & Blake’s song Sidewalks of New York
Boys and girls together, me and Mamie O'Rourke
Tripped the light fantastic
on the sidewalks of New York

The image the phrase brings up to me is that of lighthearted dancers simply enjoying themselves on any sort of dance floor.  But with the holding of our terrific fall weather I feel like dancing a little jig every morning as I step out of the house and on towards the garage and my car.  Oh it feels so good to have this long stretch of good weather after our last dismal winter and spring.
            I think it is so important to say thank you to Mother Nature, Jehovah God and just the lucky winds that bring us this fine weather whenever we can.  We often take too much for granted in our lives, from simply waking up each morning, our jobs, and the safety in our country that the smaller things are taken even more for granted.  This week I’ve heard some sad news from several different friends that hit their world unexpectedly and while I take great pity on the circumstances I also think “how lucky I am” to be spared this situation.
Take a little time this brown month to tally up your blessings and send up a prayer of thanks to your spiritual guide that you are blessed.  We never know when the tranquility we store up will be taxed with unhappy surprises.
My cup runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment