Saturday, November 26, 2011

2011 Company Christmas Party!

I broke my rule the other night and went to our company Christmas party.  This year was different because I was going as a group.  Not a couple, but as a group.  Did it make a difference?  Of course, now I was able to mingle with people and have a little chat but I could always excuse myself by saying “I must go find my date” and not be lying!  Then I would wander off and mingle some more, arching my neck here and there, a la Alice Adams.  I amused myself!
 When a company holds a Christmas party which includes spouses there really ought to be something done to make the spouse feel more invited and part of things.  I think the party facilitator that can come up with a great icebreaker where the spouse participates could make a fortune!  I feel so sorry for the spouses being dragged along, pretending to listen to the conversations and not looking like “when can we leave” is written bold on his or her forehead.  Few people have a real talent for chit chat, I noticed that yesterday and for the first time in my 58 years I did not feel like the odd man out!  What an interesting experience for me.  That really was a Aha! moment for me.
The party was nice, my group company was the best but I am not sure it is something that I will feel compelled to do every year; perhaps every 5 years.  I have to admit that I was rather disappointed by the food and the venue.  I had heard so many rave reviews about the food but I was extremely let down.  I have been to other parties with much better food, more of it, more exotic and better tasting.  The lamb was delicious and the crème Brule was good.  The venue was simply dark and boring.  I did not find it at all appealing, an ice block does not make for festiveness and as for the cool art, I didn’t see any! 
 As a fan of Martha Stewart before she even had a fan club I realize that my standards are extremely high in the area of entertaining.  Seriously I don’t think anyone can ever reach the pinnacle of my expectations and so I will never be able to enjoy a large gathering such as a company Christmas party.  I much prefer intimate parties with close friends where we can enjoy a home cooked meal over interesting conversation and later play some amusing games that will encourage laughter.  This morning I have pulled out my “Entertaining” by Martha Stewart and I will be studying it so that I can throw a stunning party of my own.  Now that’s a party I will attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment