Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Series of Unfortunate Events

When we lived in the basement apartment there was a laundry area with a washing machine of the old ringer washer style.  One day while my mother was doing the laundry the Italian landlady called her away and Mom left me in the laundry room with the admonishment “don’t touch anything”.  What did I do?  I went over to the machine, and the ringer was moving slowly round and round.  It’s smooth rolls fascinated me.  I moved my hand forward irresistibly to touch it and before you could say “Jack Robinson” it had pulled me in all the way up to my elbow.  I screamed and screamed until Mom came running down.  The machine was so old that the springs to snap it open when something was caught did not work; or perhaps they were never on that particular type?  I don’t know.  What I do know is that I was severely injured with torn ligaments in my thumb and pointer finger and since my parents had very little money they couldn’t afford to take me to the doctor or the hospital.  This was in the days before medicare came into effect.  My dad would sit with me on his lap in the evenings and rub my pointer finger and thumb, massaging out the muscles that had been torn.  He told me I should do this every night to straighten the finger back out.  I did it for a little while but I was four years old and not as strong as Dad.  So to this day I have a crooked finger.
            Shortly after that incident I had another unfortunate accident.  By this time we had moved into our own apartment.  There happened to be some kind of wire rack behind the stove which caught my interest and I reached to pull it out.  Suddenly the pot of boiling potatoes on the stove came tumbling over and scalded my left thigh.  I fell screaming to the floor and scrambled about like a little crab until Dad caught me up and laid me in a tub with cold running water.  Later I lay on my side in bed and Mom put some type of ointment on the leg.  Once again we were unable able to afford a doctor or hospital so Mom treated me herself.  Fortunately for all of us that was the end of my accidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment