Sunday, September 16, 2012

Back to Normal

My grandfather had a saying “ud er godt men hjem er bedst” (out is good but home is best) and as much as I enjoy travelling I enjoy winding down after the trip before I go back to normal.
       What is normal?  I’ve been working on finding more meaning in the day to day living which I hope has been apparent in my blogs.  I find myself dreading the return to work, to the humdrum and then I give myself a little shake in order to find the ordinary interesting.  It’s the case of trying to find a surprise in daily living, in observing the people around you and enjoying the quiet moments in those observations.  In the grocery store this morning I noticed three guys chatting it up in the store and then heading off in separate vehicles and I wondered if they were going to The Game or if they were going their own way after meeting up by accident.  While filling up with gas I chatted it up with the owner as he explained the huge jump in gas prices on Thursday afternoon.  It’s nice to know that he was looking out for his customers in holding the price down an extra day (even though I had a shock, I left last Saturday when the price was $1.13 and filled up today at $1.21, good grief).
       Taking my walk after lunch I enjoyed the changing colour of the trees and avoided thoughts of the coming winter and then suddenly I heard the stamp of hooves.  I began whistling to warn away the deer which worked as I saw it run just south of me.  Back in the yard I picked up a bunch of fallen branches from the mighty windstorm early this week and first thought about Little House on the Prairie and then about global warming.  We are living in an ever changing world and the wonder is that we don’t wonder enough about it!
       Life is good, even when ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment