Sunday, March 24, 2013

What Does Happiness Look Like?

Do you ever question your own happiness?  Or do you just take your day as it comes without considering whether you are happy or not?  Is happiness relative?
       When I have the luxury of really browsing in a book store I will look through the self-help section with considerable interest.  I am astonished at the variety of books on subjects that perhaps would never cross a person’s mind if it wasn’t brought out front and centre by a new guru’s book.  This isn’t to say that the topics aren’t relevant, if you happen to be considering a simple life, life without additives, happiness, depression or what have you.  As I have mentioned before self analysis does not come easy to me.  That does not mean that I am not constantly analysing myself, but I always find it rather disconcerting to sit down and answer multiple choice questions about myself since (1)  I can usually figure out what the “right” answer should be and (2) one’s mood is always changing so how I feel is not going to be the same today as it is next week.
       So what does happiness really look like for anyone?  I would hazard a guess to say that perhaps the overriding key is “no money worries”.  I believe it is pretty difficult to be happy if you are worried about paying bills.  I don’t mean that you cannot have moments of happiness while you are in debt, but I mean that sort of contented happiness that is with you always.  So the question then becomes is happiness contentedness?  Well, no.  Um, maybe.  Partly.  See what I mean?  Happiness is as simple or as complex as we make it.
       Are you happy today?

No comments:

Post a Comment