Monday, March 25, 2013

What is a Leader?

The following is quoted from Wikipedia:
Leadership has been described as “a process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task".   Other in-depth definitions of leadership have also emerged.
Leadership is "organizing a group of people to achieve a common goal". The leader may or may not have any formal authority. Studies of leadership have produced theories involving traits, situational interaction, function, behavior, power, vision and values, charisma, and intelligence, among others. Somebody whom people follow: somebody who guides or directs others.
So here’s my evaluation of self; I am the eldest of 6 children and it is not surprising that from the beginning of my sisterhood I was appointed as the mentor of my siblings.  I was their guardian, teacher, disciplinarian, example and big sister.  Let me repeat this with capitals; I was their Guardian, Teacher, Disciplinarian, Example and Big Sister.
       I was a Girl Guide for 4 years and became troop leader in my second year.  In the course of my many friendships I have frequently taken the lead in organizing events and in recent years I organized a book club that has been going strong for 10 years. 
       My father was a very powerful personality but when we decided to form a family consortium and build a business I went toe-to-toe with him to ensure that I, as the lone female partner would have equal rights with my father and brothers.  I won that very hard fought battle.  I was Vice President and Secretary-Treasurer of the company and my main responsibilities were as office manager, book keeper, and account manager for both payables and receivables.  I built strong relationships with vendors and with the account managers of our customers.  I was an advocate for our employees in numerous ways (note: vagueness on purpose). 
       I ran a federal campaign as an MP candidate in the largest riding in Alberta single-handed (and I do my mean alone in the fullest sense of that meaning).  I wrote 14 different speeches for 14 townhall meetings and I was the only candidate to get a standing ovation at the end of a speech.  Despite the blackout on the NDP in 1993 I still managed to achieve more votes than the candidate in the previous election which was no small feat.
       Returning to the public workforce I have been a star performer, and I say this without bragging, it is a simple fact.  Without going into details I can honestly say that I have led in a number of ways, in a number of companies, including being a mentor to others, organizing various groups independent of “formal authority”.
       In short, I would consider myself a leader.
       Let’s just say that this week I was rather staggered by a suggestion that I “should develop my leadership skills”.  And that’s all I’m going to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment