Sunday, October 5, 2014

Strategies, Plans, Challenges



I didn’t think that weekends would feel different from those before retirement but they do.  At the end of Saturday night I started to get the feeling of “one more day before work” but quickly altered it to “hey, it doesn’t matter that tomorrow is Sunday, no more work”.  What a fantastic thought.

All this ecstasy over not going to work makes it seem as though I hated my job but that is far from the truth.  What I hated was the commute which was so utterly draining and had begun to take a serious toll on my body.  I didn’t love my job though since I never felt challenged enough but now I am in control of my own destiny and I can challenge myself to my heart’s content.

Before the coach even has his hands on me (figuratively speaking of course) I’ve come up with some strategies to make my retirement meaningful in the short term.  We will see if he agrees with this scheduling:

·         Early morning – work up to 60 minute workout 6 days a week
·         Light housework (dishes, bed & bath)
·         Spend 3 – 4 hours on meaningful work
o    Spring thru fall would be Sustainable Farm
o    Winter would be writing
·         After lunch Mom and I will go for a long walk
·         Housework – dusting, vacuuming
·         Balance of afternoon spent on fun hobbies
o    Card making
o    Painting
o    Photography
o    Others
·         Evening TV, catch up on emails, blogging, etc.

As you can see I am person who likes structure.  If I don’t have some sort of a plan I know I will just go all over the place and not be able to create anything meaningful.  I already realize that I am going to have some problems with this next summer since I will be planning a vacation at the peak of the “farming” season but I will just have to come up with solutions – what’s a plan without some challenge, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment