Thursday, October 9, 2014

Through a Telescope



Have you ever put yourself in someone else’s shoes?  When a situation is dramatic or when you are watching a particularly intense movie or reading a gripping novel do you imagine yourself in that person’s place?  In real life there are sometimes circumstances that call for real empathy but it is not always easy to know what the right words are to express your sympathy or concern.  Situations such as grieving for a lost one or coping with job loss are two that spring to mind as I have had to handle both situations recently.

For the most part what I have experienced is that nothing is really wrong to say.  What is most important is to acknowledge what has happened and one’s expression of concern can be in a brief sentence such as “I’m very sorry for your loss”.  To ignore the situation is the cruelest thing a person can do.  In such a case it’s prudent to search your reasons for ignoring someone’s situation because if it’s just because you are uncomfortable then get over yourself.  In these types of circumstances it’s not about you but rather about making another person feel acknowledged.  Step out of your comfort zone and just do it.  I’ve heard people say things like “I just felt like crying or I just felt so bad for her I couldn’t say anything” but you’ll notice the “I” word.  When you feel like that, give yourself the reminder – it’s not about how you feel, it’s about acknowledging the other person.

It’s also important not to get caught up in the drama of the situation because then again it will just become about you.  Feel for the person but don’t dwell on it.  It’s a fine balance to empathize rather than to put yourself completely in the situation and begin to wallow in the person’s despair.  A person cannot survive that type of behaviour for very long because it simply drains a person.  The situation is out of your control so it’s important to know how much to say and when to move on either in conversation or physically out of the person’s space.

And all of this writing is cathartic for me, reminding me to empathize and not get dramatic.  I leave that for the critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment