Friday, October 3, 2014

The Wow Factor



At the seminar I took the other day only one thing had any relevance to my situation as a retiree.  The speaker talked about how time slips away on a person when they are retired.  He said that they could help turn that around so that at the end of a week one could say “wow that was a great week”.  That resonated with me since I have been talking about a “quality retirement” for some time.  It’s one thing to feel free and liberated but it’s something else when you can take that freedom and feeling of liberty and turn it into an adventure.

The adventure doesn’t have to be one of those Disney things where weird things happen (one only has to go on the c-train to experience that sort of weirdness).  The adventure is simply experiencing “wow” in whatever one does and that is not something that generally happens in the work place.  Wows happen out in the world, doing things you truly love.  Taking a great photograph, hiking a beautiful trail in the autumn, visiting a senior citizen who tells an authentic story, having a perfect meditation, getting that exhilarating high during a particularly great workout, being in the moment.  Those are wows.

How often did I feel wow when I typed a memo, created a powerpoint presentation or organized a team building event?  Not very often so why would I think that wows are going to happen in retirement?  Because from now on everything that I do is because I want to do it and if that is the case wouldn’t I want it to be terrific?  I was a professional and I did my job very well but it wasn’t my passion.  It’s time to figure out what my true passion is.

So I’m waiting for the coaching that will help me bring on the Wow Factor.  Meanwhile I am having a pretty wonderful time with my Mom and my critters.  I just see things getting better and better.

Have I mentioned that I am an optimist? 

No comments:

Post a Comment